Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Flour


My first post.

Flour URL:
http://www.flourbakery.com/
Menu: Pastries, Sandwiches, Soups Salads
Kid Friendly: Yes High chairs and Kid's menu
Price: Average for the city and neighborhood, dinner is a bit pricey for premade items.
Atmosphere: Hip, artsy, friendly staff, trendy


This is not a new restaurant for me. I have been going there for about a year or so with Lou. My biggest regret about the restaurant is I didn't find it myself, and it is so close! I pride myself in finding good places to eat, but somehow this one slipped by. Flour has two locations one in South Boston on Farnsworth St. and one in the South End on Washington Street. It is owned by Joanne Chang who also owns Myers and Chang, another great place I will have to write about. Flour is first and foremost a bakery. From homemade oreos, to a variety of brioche, to breakfast pizza, to mini tartelettes, to the best stickie buns outside of Philly, their pastries selection is without peer, at least to my knowledge, feel free to prove me wrong. All pastries are made on premises. You can often see the bakers in the back creating new sensations. Flour also bakes their own bread for sandwiches on premise. When I think of Flour I usually think breakfast or lunch. They have a delicious breakfast sandwich which includes a fresh cooked egg, your choice of ham or bacon, greens, a roasted tomato, and some special sauce on a fresh cooked bun. They also offer a daily quiche, the breakfast pizza, which I mentioned earlier, and of course their delicious pastries! For lunch their is a large selection of sandwiches available, daily soups and salads. The Sandwiches are always on fresh baked bread, with unique ingredients like the Roasted Lamb, tomato chutney, and goat cheese, or the curried tuna with apples, golden raisins and carrots, and my husband's favorite, the smoked turkey with Vermont cheddar and cranberry chutney. Every item we've had at Flour is delicious and made with quality ingredients. Flour does offer dinner items as well. The items differ by week and are sent out via a mailing list for those interested. Lou and I have tried their dinners a few times. The food is tasty and comes in good portions, but I find their dinner items to be a bit overpriced for take out items. You can choose to have them heat dinner items up and eat on premise, but for self service, again, they are a bit overpriced. Both Flour locations are usually packed at breakfast and at lunch. The Farnsworth location is larger and has more available seating inside and out while the Washington street location is smaller. Seating is very limited. To be fair, I have only been to Washington street in the winter so do not know if they have outside seating available in the warmer months. The staff at Flour is always friendly and helpful. My impression is they are hip, creative, and concerned with the environment, Flour was just officially green certified. They also seem to be tight knit team, and updates on family and accomplishments are often posted in e-mails and on their website. Flour is definitely a trendy restaurant in many aspects, starting with the name, the creativity in the food they serve, their support of the arts, and their green rating. If Flour falls short in any place it is their operations. The line is managed unconventionally. When it is busy, it is hard to view the pastries before having to order, and they are probably doing themselves a disservice by not by not examining their order flow and making it more efficient and upsell friendly. I don't want to end my first blog entry on a negative. I chose Flour to write about first because it is a favorite of mine, it is close by, I love to bring friends their, I am never dissappointed with what I order, and the staff is really friendly. Come back often for more recommendations!

No comments: