Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Jano Montreal, It's all about the sauce!




Restaurant Jano Grillades


3883 Boulevard Saint-LaurentMontreal, QC H2W 1X9, Canada

Menu: Portuguese cooking chicken, chorizo, soups salads

Kid Friendly: Does not cater to kids, but has foods the will like, and casual atmosphere.
Atmosphere: Portuguese flavor in a simple atmosphere. Two top tables can easily be reconfigured for large groups. Relaxing environment.

Service: There was one server working the whole restaurant, he was friendly and quick.

Prices: Reasonable prices for delicious food!

Lou and I went to Montreal this weekend, and we took full advantage of checking out the local restaurants. We found Jano on our way to Schwartz's, a famous smoked meat restaurant. We were expecting a line at Schwartz, but is was unusually long, and we were hungry! Next door we saw Jano. Two people were eating in the window. The food on their plates looked amazing, there was no line, it was a no brainer. When we entered Jano, there was a sign that said to seat ourselves. It was written in French, however, so we stood waiting for a little direction. Our server directed us to sit wherever we liked, so we headed into the back. The restaurant had about 50 seats in it, several two tops by the window in front, and then a larger dining area towards the back. The sections were divided by a small sevice bar where our server worked from, behind that was the kitchen, which was in the front of the restaurant with a window to the street. After sitting down we were quickly served a large basket of bread and dish of spanish olives. I dug right in. Jano offers a full wine list, but it was lunch and we opted for water. The menu at Jano is written in Portuguese, French, and English. Since we were drawn in by the food we saw in the window, Lou and I promptly ordered what we saw. I got the 1/2 chicken breast grilled, with Portuguese potatoes. Lou got the potatoes as well with a Chorizo sandwich. I noticed as we were waiting for our food, most tables had 3 condiments on their table. A big plastic bottle of mayo, a big plastic bottle of ketchup, and a mug which I was completely confused about. My meal started off with a garden salad. The ingredients were typical, lettuce, tomatoe, a few onions, but the dressing was unique. It was a vinagrette, but had a flavor to it that was similar to sweet gherkins. Almost like a relish vinagrette. It was a good way to start the meal. When our food came, we were asked if we would like ketchup and mayo for our Portuguese potatoes, to which we replied no. The Potatoes were basically fresh potato chips. There was nothing unique about them but they were very delicious. The best part about the meal though was that mug I mentioned earlier. We too were given a mug which contained Jano's "secret" sauce. The mug was filled and contained a pastry brush to rub the sauce on whatever you desired. When I first tasted it, I thought might be too spicey, but then I couldn't get enough of it. If you look in the picture you can see there were definitely red pepper flakes in it, and the clear liquid is some kind of fat, but the other ingredients were a mystery. I asked the waiter what was in it, and he said it was an 80 year old recipe and he couldn't tell me. He also said it is what makes the food tast so good. I have to agree. My chicken was grilled perfectly, the sauce made it amazing. I found myself even putting some sauce on my potatoes! Lou loved his chorizo. We will definitely be back at Jano when we head to Montreal again.


No comments: