Monday, March 8, 2010

I've gotten behind....

Cheesecake at Finale

Writing a blog has been much harder than I anticipated when I started. (Case and point, I started this entry a week ago, and I am just getting around to finishing it.) I began gungho posting every couple days determined to be the best food blogger in the universe, but then I realized a few things. Not every restaurant I go to has a wow factor, or great story. Sometimes I forget my camera and think without out the pictures the post will be lame. Sometimes I am too busy to post, and sometimes I would just rather play Farmville. I admit it, I am a Farmville addict.

With all this in mind, I thought I would sum up a few places into one entry. As Abraham Lincoln once said, and I take poetic justice on this, forgive me if it gets too long, I don't have time to write a shorter entry.

Best pizza we have found in Southie, and friendliest staff and delivery guys. Alfredo's 243 Dorchester Street. Closest I have found to NYC pizza in Boston, and every time I call in an order the guy affectionately calls me sweetie.

Applebee's. I know NOT ANOTHER CHAIN, how dare I? but it is a great place to meet for a quick lunch and they have a damn good Oriental Chicken salad with a grilled teriyaki chicken on top.

City Feed- 672 Centre Street, Local, Fresh, Organic, in JP. This place is hipper than hip and oh so green. They try to buy only from local vendors and support free trade. You country folks living in the city, don't let the outside fool you. I totally thought it was some kind of garden store, animal feed store, or grain storage. I know that sounds ridiculous being it's in the middle of JP, but I can't be the only one! Anyway, try the vegetarian egg sandwich here. You meat eaters won't think those Vegan's are so nuts anymore. You may want to go across the street to JP Licks for your coffee though.

Douzo- Swankiesh sushi 121 Dartmouth street. This is the place I most wish I had my camera at as I ate mini Octopus topped with a sesame oil. Oh how I wish I had lined them up like little soldiers for my blog. Alas, I forgot the camera. Douzo is good, a little expensive and I think you can get just as good sushi somewhere else cheaper, but it is a nice setting, and we were with nice friends, so we had a good time. Service wasn't the best, but we had been there before and the same guy was much better. I think it was just a bad night.

Finale- In the Park Plaza hotel. Want to impress someone over dessert or have dessert for dinner? Bring them here. They have combination desserts that cost as much as $25 but are big enough to share. The dessert bar craze may be all the rage, but these guys were first in the game. They do have some dinner items on the menu, but don't go for those. Live a little! Have your dessert first! or skip dinner all together. The Valrona hot chocolate with butterscotch schnapp's is the perfect warmer after a day of shopping on Newbury street in the winter. The Molten Chocolate cake is a house special. They do it better than anyone. Also outstanding are their creme brulee, and fruit tarts.

JP Hanlon's- This place is in Ayer and outside the city, get out and explore! It's an Irish bar, with Irish type food, and the best damn dipping sauce for sweet potato fries you will ever come across. Honey mustard and horseradish mixed together make up this tasty concoction. Sure you can make it at home, but everything tastes better when someone else makes it.

So there you have it, I am caught up. It's been a tough March and speaking to friends, I think we are all about as busy, but I promise to keep up with the blogging going forward.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Keep up the good work Kris! I look forward to your posts and I intend to visit some of the establishments in your blog.