Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Whiskey Priest, or Whiskey the Priest, either way, I am intrigued


The Friendliest Place in Town is now The Whiskey Priest, or it could be Whiskey the Priest the way the sign reads, either way, it proves being friendly alone does not make a good restaurant.

Next to Atlantic Beer Garden there was a restaurant which had been there for years which boasted it was "The Friendliest Place in Town" but that never made me want to go in. It had a wrap around patio on the harbor, a roof deck, and I still didn't want to go into it. Being friendly and having a great location are a good start, but if you don' t have good food and good service, you are going to be dead in the water. It looks like this may have been the fate of this place. I can't even remember the name of it. It's slogan saying it was so friendly stuck out to me, but so did how dirty it looked from the outside and the fact that it never really looked packed. Honestly, if I had a group of drinking buddies and we wanted to take over a bar and be raucous, this place seemed to fit the bill, but that never happened and now it is gone.

I can't judge the friendliest place in town on whether it had good or bad food, but if they were relying on the friendly angle, I am not surprised they closed. I have a theory, you can have great food and not so friendly service and survive, ask the soup Nazi from Seinfeld, but you can't just be friendly and serve bad food.

Tune back in for my review of The Whiskey Priest or Whiskey the Priest, I guess I will figure it out when it opens....


2 comments:

Jessica said...

They certainly didn't learn from their local "cheery" neighbor where everybody knows your name!

Christine said...

i'm not much of a fan of the friendliest place. ;-)