Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How Does One Family Get All The Talent? Alma Nove

Alma Nove
22 Shipyard Drive
Hingham, Ma 02043

www.almanovehingham.com

Food: Blend of Italian and Mediterranean cuisine
Atmosphere: Upscale, but not stuffy, by the water, open, near a boat launch, outside seating with fire pit
Kid Friendly: Leave the kids at home and go here for a date at night or business meeting during the day
Pricing: Average for a nice dinner out.

I was listening to Mix 98.5 a few weeks ago when I heard the movie "The Other Guys" was having its premier in Hingham. Hingham? Who has a premier in Hingham? It all made sense when Alma Nove was mentioned.

Alma Nove is a restaurant owned by Chef Paul Wahlberg. Have you made the connection yet? If you are in your mid to late 30's I am guessing you have, but let me make it easy. Paul Wahlberg is the brother of Donny and Mark Wahlberg. Mark is in the movie, "The Other Guys", what better way to promote your brother's new restaurant than to have the premier at the movie theater located on it's doorstep?

Alma Nove is named for the Wahlberg matriarch
Alma, and Nove, for her nine children.

This past weekend, while on an adventure, which included our good friend Banks, we made our way over to the Hingham Shipyard, where Alma Nove is located and gave it a try.

We arrived at about 3:30pm and the kitchen was in between lunch and dinner, so the hostess told us we could only sit at the bar and have a limited menu. My initial reaction was disappointment, but then we asked to see the menu, and limited is probably not the right choice of words. There was still a great selection of food to choose from, so we opted to sit down at one of the high tops surrounding the bar.

Being relegated to the bar, could have been a second chance to
disappoint me, but Alma Nove has an open floor plan, with lots of windows. I love natural light and being on the water. The only thing that would have been better is if I were able to sit outside on the patio. I also am not a big fan of the bar high top. Usually I find sitting up that high uncomfortable, but Alma Nove has extremely comfortable leather chairs, and the wall separating the bar from the dining area has a glass sound buffer. This makes the restaurant feel as though it is one big room, and made me feel in no way was I in less desirable seating.

Within a half hour of our arrival, I noticed every high top in the bar was taken as well as all seating around the bar. That is pretty amazing for the in between lunch and dinner time at a restaurant.

For our in between meal,which was really more of an early dinner;), I opted for the Spaghettini, Banks got the Orecchietti, and Lou the Grilled Sirloin Burger.

The Spaghettini came with mizuno pesto, pistachios and wood grilled chicken. The portion was perfect. The blend of the pesto, and pistachios was simple yet so flavorful, and the chicken was moist and tender. I loved it.

Banks let me taste her Orecchietti, and I felt the same way. It was a blend of rapini, panchetta and Romano cheese. This was also a simple dish, but packed with flavor, and the perfect portion.

I think the most telling dish as to whether Alma Nove is a really good restaurant was Lou's burger. The first thing I noticed is it was all about the burger. The bun size to burger size was absolutely perfect. Paul Wahlberg must have grown up on the "Where's the beef?" commercials and vowed to do better. The bun also looked freshly made. I have said it before and will continue to say it, "Good bread, good sandwich, good burger." Lou loved it.

We were so satisfied with lunch, we decided we had to continue on with dessert. Looking at the Alma Nove website, the dessert is different than what they had listed the day we were there, which means they do seasonal desserts. This also means ingredients are fresh, and dessert invokes the atmosphere of the season. I personally love this. It is only a shame I can't credit the pastry chef because I don't see the name on the website. We chose two very seasonal desserts, the pumpkin cheesecake with ginger snap crust, and the
ginger cake with caramel sauce and fresh brandy whipped cream. Hopefully I described those right. I do know I got the brandy whipped cream right. Here's a little secret. Want to spruce up that pie at Thanksgiving? Make fresh whipped cream and add a tablespoon of brandy to it. You will be asking people if the want pie with their whipped cream. It is delicious, and the desserts at Alma Nove were outstanding.

I have to admit, Alma Nove exceeded all my expectations. The service was great, the food was outstanding. The atmosphere was perfect, and I have to say it was aptly name. With all the talent floating around in the Wahlberg family, it's good to see Alma Wahlberg recognized. She sure did something right.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved this place and would absolutely go back again! The food, the atmosphere, the friends... perfect