Thursday, December 3, 2009

Everybody Has a Hometown Favorite


Maria Rosa's
541 Sergeantsville Rd. (Rte. 523)
Flemington, NJ 08822
908-788-4945
Menu: Pizza, Pasta, Wraps, Sandwiches Salads
Atmosphere: Hometown laid back favorite
Kid Friendly: Absolutely
Prices: Inexpensive way to have an excellent meal out with the family
Every person who lives away from home has a favorite restaurant they hit up when they go home for something they've been craving. For my sister, Kira, and I, that place is Maria Rosa's. The address is Flemington, but it is closer to Sergeantsville where we grew up.

When I visit Maria Rosa's the thought always enters my mind, why wasn't this place here when I was growing up? Maria Rosa's is a Restaurant and Pizzeria run by the Marinelli family. I can't remember when the restaurant actually opened. I know it was after I moved away from the area, but I feel like I have been going there forever. It is the quintessential, hometown place with great food, a laid back atmosphere, an ultra friendly staff, and you're guaranteed to run into someone you know when you are there.

When I first moved to Sergeantsville, I was 9 years old. I remember in the first month my father decided we were going on an adventure! He said we would seek out the best cheese steak in the area. We had moved up from outside of Philly, and so there were big shoes to fill, but we were determined. We went to about 5 different places that day, and struck out. We thought there was just no way a place in Central Jersey would know how to make a good cheesesteak, but then along came the Marinelli's at Maria Rosa's and their award winning cheesesteak. The steak is shaved, the cheese it melted perfectly, there is marinara sauce on top, onions, peppers and mushrooms if you want them... It is Cheesesteak perfection. If you look on Yelp today there is a review from someone who says, "O MY GOD! That was the best Cheese Steak Sub I ever had and I used to live in Philadelphia"

Besides the cheesesteak, the rest of the food at Maria Rosa's is just as good. The pizza is great, and of course they have traditional Italian pasta dishes like Chicken and Eggplant Parm, Stuffed Rigatoni Pesto, and the house specialty Penne Maria Rosa. Salads come with every entree and are always fresh and crisp. My mom love's Mike's homemade vinagrette. Maria Rosa's also has wraps on the menu, Ralph's Chicken is delicious and a healthy option.One of the best parts about Maria Rosa's is the Marinelli's. They know everyone. It is truely a family run business. Brothers Ralph and Mike are almost always behind the counter, Mike cooking and Ralph greeting everyone as they come and go. Mr. and Mrs. Marinelli used to run the business full time, and will often still be in greeting customers and helping to deliver food. Long time waitress Donna, is always pleasant and quick to serve. I don't think I have ever been to Maria Rosa's where one of the Marinelli's or Donna didn't stop by the table to ask how our family was doing, and at Christmas time, they often give out wine as gifts to their regular customers.
If you are in the Flemington area and you are looking for that hometown place with great food and great service. try Maria Rosa's.

No comments: