Wednesday, December 23, 2009

In the Worcester area? Check out O'Connor's


O'Connor's Restaurant and Bar
1160 West Boylston Street
Worcester, Ma 01606

508-853-0789

Menu: Irish and American Fare, with items like Lamb Kabobs, and O'Brien's Chicken Curry spicing up the mix.
Atmosphere: Warm, inviting, great place for big dinners with family and friends.
Kid Friendly: Yes! Especially the soon to be born, there were two baby showers the day we were there.
Prices: I don't know what the price of the buffet was but their menu prices look very reasonable

One of my best friend's in the world, Stephanie has a younger sister, Christie, who is having her first baby. I have known Stephanie for 20+ years since college, and I have been fortunate to stay friends with her and get to know her family. I don't think anyone's family is as fun as Stephanie's when there is a party, I love them like a second family, so when I heard Christie was having her first child, it was as if I had heard the news about my own little sister.

As Christie's due date is fast approaching( Feb) a baby shower was planned in Worcester at O'Connor's restaurant and bar. I was flattered to be invited. Worcester is about 45 minutes from Boston, and if you drive into Boston via the Mass. Pike, you pass right by it. Truman Capote once describe Worcester as, "a Massachusetts Factory town of steep, up and down streets that make even the best of weathers seem cheerless and hostile." I have to admit, I had a few good laughs from that one. I have always thought of Worcester a bit in that light as well, but I have to say my visit to O'Connor's for this celebration has changed my mind.

The day of the shower, the weather was miserable. It was one of the first really cold days, and it was raining, which turned to snow. O'Connors is conveniently located off 190 north, exit 4 or the West Boylston exit. When I pulled around the corner this place screamed Irish Pub and Restaurant. Obviously the name gives it away, but the building is also green with the American and Irish flags proudly displayed out front. It also looked warm and welcoming.

The restaurant itself, has a front dining area with a large bar, like any proper Irish place would, but then it extends far into the back for larger parties and events like ours. From what I could see there was a large long room in the back which formed into an "L" shape, it could
accommodate about 40. There was a similar long rectangular room in the front, not quite as big, about 20 could fit in there, and then there was the room we were in. The other two rooms had windows, where our room was an interior room, but Stephanie picked this room specially for the event, and I could understand why. I am guessing this room could sit 30 comfortably. Maybe a few more if you were having a sit down dinner, but we had a buffet. The room was intimate and warm. There was Irish memorabilia and paintings throughout. The walls were dark wood wainscoting with an intricate stencil complimenting the walls. There were mirrors throughout so it did not feel like we were in an interior room, and there were wreaths placed for the holidays.

The staff at O'Connors was very accommodating and friendly. Stephanie asked for a special meal and they happily had it prepared for her. We also were offered drinks as soon as we entered the room.

In the corner there was a nice buffet displayed with an extra table for the gifts, and the tables where we sat surrounded a central area where Christie could sit and open her gifts, and we could all have a good view.

The name of this blog is Burke's Buffet, so who was happier than me when I saw the buffet spread out before us? There was a little something for every taste, and in my case I tried them all. Two kinds of grilled fish, Salmon and I am guessing Cod. A beef Dish, a breaded chicken dish, a perfect array of mixed vegetables, and even pizza! It was all very good.
Stephanie and her family did a great job with the shower. Christie's sister-in-law, Pam made adorable favors out of small glass jars filled with Sugar Babies, tied with ribbon and accented with a custom sticker which read, "Christie's shower". Another really nice treat were the lemon Italian cookies made by Christie's 4th grade teacher. She put them in clear plastic cups with almonds wrapped in plastic. It was simple but perfect, the cookies were delicious, and there were a lot of extras to take home.
At the end of the day as I ran out to my car amongst the snowflakes I realized my perception of Worcester had completely changed. On this miserable day, there was a whole lot of warmth and sunshine coming out of O'Connor's.

Since Christmas is just two days away, I will sign off with this Irish Christmas Blessing

May God grant you lightness in your step,
a smile on every face you meet
Loved ones gathered at your hearth,
and at your door, good folk to greet.

A holy hymn upon your lips
a windowcandle burning bright.
And may the Good Lord bless your heart
and come to dwell there Christmas night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Kris Burke McDavid said...

Wow thanks for the encouragement. I really am trying.