Thursday, December 10, 2009

Is she really going to talk about the golden arches???


When I started writing this blog it was with the intention to write about every place I ate for a year. You realize a lot about your eating habits when you go on a quest like this. I have to be honest about where I am eating!!! I think there may be a few foodies out there who are appalled that I do still have the occassional McDonald's hamburger. I was debating whether to write about it at all. I mean reviewing someplace like McDonald's seems ridiculous. Who hasn't been to a McDonald's? But, I have decided I need to stay true to my original mission of writing about every place I go.

You know what's on the menu at McDonald's but have you ever been to the one at 870 Mass. Ave late night? Come on all you party goers raise your hand. I know you have been there, and some of you have been in my car. My point is, this place can be rocking after 1 am, and the people working there handle it in stride. Especially when 3 out of 4 people in most cars are probably drunk, excluding the driver of course. Let's drink responsibly.

The last time Lou and I went to this McDonald's, the girl working the drive thru window was so efficient I made Lou tip her. After that, I think he has taken notice of just how hard some of the workers in places like McDonald's or Burger King work.

Think about it for a second. Why do people at Starbucks have a tip jar out? Why do we feel obligated to tip the Dunkin Donuts workers? and Why would we never think of tipping a McDonald's or Burger King employee?

You may have heard the word TIPS is an acronym. To Ensure Prompt Service, but if you look up the etymology of the word, it was first used to describe softly touching someone. It gained popularity amongst thieves who were handing over goods to one another such as small sums of money, and it eventually became widely used as the act of paying for a small service rendered.

I am not saying we need to start tipping all McDonald's and Burger King employees, but I am saying lets be thoughtful in the tips we give. Take notice of that person working behind the counter next time you order from them. Are they particularly efficient? Are they extra friendly? Did they anticipate you needed something and hand it to you before you could ask? Maybe that is the person you should be tipping. Besides that, you all know McDonald's has the best fries!!!!



No comments: