Thursday, December 24, 2009

Our Breakfast Tradition, Terrie's Place


Lou and I have a tradition when it snows in Southie on the weekend. In the morning, before we dig out, we head up to Terrie's Place for breakfast. Usually it is still snowing, and barely anyone has dug out, so it can be a good workout. When I think back on all the times we have done this, it makes me think it must never snow during the week in Southie.

Terrie's Place is on East Broadway on the corner of K street. It is a small place with seating for about 40 people tops. There are several booths, a counter, and some free standing high tops available. The seating is seat yourself when it's open, and slightly more organized when it is busy. Since there isn't a lot of space to sit down, there really isn't a lot of space to stand and wait, so often when it starts to get busy in Terrie's you see the staff doing the ultimate shuffle routine to move people around so they are not in the way.

There is a girl in Terrie's who is always in there, and I am guessing she is Terrie. It is obvious she is in charge and she is always cheerful and quick to offer some hot chocolate or coffee when you come in from the cold. Sometimes I wish I could ask her what her end game is with this place.

As it is today, Terrie's has a nice breakfast. They have the typical two eggs, toast and hash browns, or the make your own omelet type dishes, but they also offer some unique dishes like Banana bread French toast, and eggs benedict done 10 different ways. This isn't 5 star dining, but it a neighborhood place. It is cheap, and it is consistent. It is also open for lunch, which I have never tried, but closes for dinner.

The only problem with Terrie's is I think it could be so much better. The location is prime, but the space needs to be used differently. The booths seem to be on their last leg, the curtains are old, and the set up is inefficient. This place is in major need of a makeover! I find myself sitting in there wondering why Terrie hasn't changed things. I know it can be financially draining, but there are small things she could do to fix this place up.

First of all the place needs a major detailed cleaning. Do this alone and it would look 10 times better. Service areas are clean, and I don't feel like the place is unsanitary to eat it in, but the baseboards could be scrubbed or a new coat of paint could be added to the walls to brighten it up. Those things don't take too much time or money.

If I was really going to overhaul Terrie's, I would rip out the booths and add two tops. I have said it before, and I will say it again. Small places need two tops!!!!!! You can move them around. You can fit all sizes of parties. Two tops optimize seating in small places! I would also get rid of the Odwalla fridge which is against one of the walls. I can't imagine that many people are coming into Terrie's for their Odwalla fix. If they still wanted to sell Odwalla, they could keep it in a cooler behind the counter. Most importantly though, I would spruce up the wait staff. The only nice person when you go into Terrie's is Terrie herself. Everyone else has the. "it's a job" mentality. It's not that the staff is rude, but they do seem to be going through the motions.

For a neighborhood breakfast place, Terrie's is the old standby. Each time it snows we will make our traditional trek, but I think I will always quietly hope Terrie realizes the potential of her place.



No comments: