Monday, January 4, 2010

All Chinese food is not created equal



Golden Temple
1651 Beacon Street
Brookline, Ma 02445
617-277-9722

Menu: Upscale Chinese
Atmosphere: Sophisticated, Fun, Intimate, great for celebrations, special family dinners
Kid Friendly: Sure if your kids eat chinese
Prices: Expensive so you might want to wait for a special occasion, but worth every penny.

I don't know where the tradition of getting Chinese food for Christmas Eve and or New's Year's Eve came from, but I think it is one of the better ones.

This year, I mentioned, my parents came to Boston to experience Christmas with Lou and I. We followed tradition by going to church on Christmas Eve and then heading to Golden Temple in Brookline for Chinese.

Before I get into Golden Temple, I have to give a shout out to the guy who sang at Mass Christmas Eve. I don't know what his name is, but he was unbelievable, so good in fact, Lou wanted to ask why he wasn't signed yet. So if you're reading this guy who sang at St. Bridget's 4 pm Christmas Eve Mass, go after that record deal!

Now back to the food. Ever since I can remember, my dad has questioned, why pay more money for Chinese food at one place as compared to another? Isn't it all just the same? I agreed with him for years until I went to the Temple.

Golden Temple has been in Brookline for years. From their website, I can't tell how long it has been around, but Lou says he remembers going when he was young, so lets say at least 20? When you walk into the building you would never think it has been there as long as it has. The dining areas and bar are always maintained beautifully. All tables, chairs, bathrooms are up to date. If someone told me this was a new place, I wouldn't question it.

The main dining room is a work of art. When I sit in it, I feel like I am inside a beautifully carved, Asian inspired ship. It doesn't look like a ship, but the influence is definitely in the design. If this is your first time at Golden Temple, ask to sit in this main section. The second dining room as the bar in it. It has a double duty, dining room by day. E Room by night. The E Room it transforms into has a DJ, and small dance floor. This room also has the ship influence in the form of large round areas on the wall and a half circle shape. It has higher ceilings, and movable tables so the feeling is not quite as intimate as the other side, but the architecture is equally as stunning.

When you go to Golden Temple, it would be a poor decision not to start with one of their libations. Their Mai Tai's are the best I've ever had, and if you like something with a bit more juice but the same bang, try the Goombay Splash. One of these and you will ask your date why he/she is talking so funny. They also offer the "No Whammy" versions of their drinks. My mom got a really tasty fruity concoction that she loved. Sorry Golden Temple, I can't remember the name!

I have to admit, this trip to the Temple with my parents was a long time coming. Lou and I go there a few times a year, and every time we say we've got to bring my parents there. Mainly we wanted to debunk my dad's Chinese food theory, and it looks like we were successful.

This trip we got:
Crab Rangoons, only rangoons I have ever tasted with REAL crab in them.
Pork Pot stickers steamed. Six come to an order, and they are perfect everytime.
The Scallion Pancake, okay JP Seafood wins hands down for this, but Golden Temple's is a close second.
General Tso's Chicken, big pieces of tenderly juicy chicken. Best General I have had.
Vegetable Tempura, theirs is always light and fried perfectly with a good array of veggies, and my mom had us try ,
Gai Kew With Shrimp. This dish was Shrimp and Chicken sautéed with shittake mushcrooms, snow peas and Chinese Vegetables in a light oyster sauce. This is definitely a dish we will be ordering again.

So what really sets Golden Temple apart? To sum it up I would say a commitment to excellence. The ingredients they use are always fresh. The food comes out within minutes of ordering it. We've never ordered a dish we didn't love, and duck sauce, soy sauce, and hot mustard are served plentifully on the table in a fueng shui array of bowls. The wait staff is on top of every detail at your table, from filling up water glasses to changing out dishes between courses. The dining area is a work of art to sit in and even the glassware is beautiful. Is it a little more expensive? Yes, but it is worth every penny.

Don't wait for the eve of your next holiday to enjoy Golden Temple, it's open all year!






No comments: