Monday, January 18, 2010

Take me to another place, Take me to another land, Make me forget all that hurts me, Let me understand your plan

Brick's Cafe
2020 Fieldstone Parkway
Suite 200 (next to Publix)
Franklin, TN 37067

Menu: Italian, Southern, Southwestern. Something for everyone
Atmosphere: Nice casual
Kid Friendly: Yes but not exactly Applebee's or a Friday's a bit nicer than that, so don't show up if you let your kids run buck wild.
Price: For the two of us it was about $45 with tip. Not bad for a good meal, leftovers and a decent atmosphere to bring a date before a movie. My sister was my date, and we went to see Avatar later on.

In my last blog, I mentioned visiting my sister, Colleen and her family in Tennessee last weekend. While I was there, Colleen and I went to Brick's Cafe in Franklin. My niece, Corinne is a hostess and food runner there. It was fun to see her work while we had a great meal.

When I was younger, I loved when my family would come visit me at work. Ok, I admit partly because they tipped me really well, but also because it was fun to have them come and support me. It made me proud of the job I was doing because I could tell they were proud.

Brick's Cafe is in a shopping center in the Nashville suburb, Franklin. I have lived in the city so long, it is always strange to me to go to a restaurant in a shopping center. I think I have this preconceived notion a restaurant in a shopping center is not going to be good. I know it is ridiculous, and to be fair on my blog, I need to get over my restaurant stereotyping. At least Brick's went a long way in changing my mind.

When we walked into Brick's I immediately forgot there was a Publix looming outside the door. The setting inside was exposed brick, nice table settings and soft lighting. We were sat quickly probably because Corinne sat us, but hey she seats everyone, so you will probably be sat quickly as well. We were greeted at the table quickly too.

Bricks has a little something for everyone. Their menu has an Italian influence, but it also has a Southern and South Western influence. It seems as though whoever owns Brick's figured they would just put all their favorite foods on the menu and who cares if they don't have a particular theme, as long as the food tastes good, people will come.

If there is one thing my sister and I have in common it is we LOVE to eat. We used to eat so much when we were tweens/teens we would have contests to see who could eat the most. Split a large pizza? No problem 6 to 8 tacos? A breeze. I was really excited to enjoy a good meal with her after all these years, but with the metabolisms of two 40 year old woman, we skipped the eating contest.

During our visit to Bricks we started with the Cajun Bayou Fondue. I ask you, what is better than melted cheese in a bowl? That's right nothing, especially when it is packed with shrimp, bay scallops, crawfish, spinach and baby portabellas. Check out the pic below. I am only sorry I would have looked foolish asking for a to go container for the leftovers. It was so good, I almost forgot to take a picture.

For dinner, I got the Portabellini Chicken, and Colleen when for the Smothered Chicken. The Portabellini Chicken was a grilled chicken breast over red mashed potatoes, smothered in sautéed portabelllini mushrooms in a roasted garlic red wine demi glaze. Yes, it tasted as good as it sounds. I ate most of it, and this is actually what I got to take home.

The Smothered Chicken was grilled chicken over sauteed spinach and covered with creamy smoked gouda sauce served with steamed vegetables. Here's Colleen enjoying it. She is going to be so happy about this picture. Look how into the food she is!

Both dishes were big enough to eat half and have another full meal to take home. Don't be ashamed to take your leftovers. Sometimes they taste better the next day. Besides restaurant portions tend to be enormous these days, and to be perfectly honest... we needed room for dessert!

We went for the Chocolate Truffle Cake. It was Kona coffee ice cream over a truffle cake, drizzled in Bailey's Irish Cream. Perfect way to end a really yummy meal.
If you happen to be traveling through Tennessee and stop in Franklin to eat at Brick's, say hello to my niece Corinne.

No comments: