Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Yes you CAN AFFORD that fancy restaurant, just be creative!

We all know eating out is not the most economically friendly decision when it comes to our own finances, but I am writing a blog based on my visits to different restaurants. I need to figure out a way to afford it, otherwise there would be nothing to read. Here are some of the things I have taken more notice of in Boston since I started blogging.

A lot of restaurants are aware the economy is affecting their sales so they have come up with discounted dinner menus on slower nights to draw people in.

Moo0...
15 Beacon Street
Boston, Ma

Menu: Steakhouse, but also serve chicken and fish
Kid Friendly: Leave the kids at home
Atmosphere: Upscale, Fancy, impeccable service

Moo0..., a phenomenal steakhouse in the bottom of XV Beacon has a special menu Sunday and Monday nights. $35 a person for a three course meal, plus complimentary valet! That is a steal for a place like this. Most menus a limited to three choices, but usually include a steak, fish, or pasta option. Pair it with dessert and an appetizer, and it's a pretty good deal. That price is better than one entree any other night at Moo.

Also at Moo everyday in the bar from 5:30 pm on they have $15 entrees and $7.50 appetizers. Hey, if you don't mind sitting at the bar you are basically getting 1/2 off the price of your meal.

Here's a huge hint for Mooo... Have a party of 4 and want to impress your friends? Call a few days ahead and request table #36 in the back corner. It's the best table in the house with great winged back chairs to add to the ambiance!

Another great restaurant which has a special menu on Sundays is Harvest. I wrote a review on this restaurant earlier in my blog, but we were lucky enough to return for Lou's mom's birthday. The design of the special menu is similar to Moo, $35 for a three course meal. The portions were definitely smaller than what you usually get ala carte, but American's portions are out of whack anyway, and the sizes of these dishes were perfect. Lou and I both started off with salads. We then moved onto entrees, I got a fish dish and he got the mushroom ravioli. Both dishes were excellent. I swiped one of the special menus that night to ensure I got the proper descriptions on my blog of the food, but unfortunately, I can't find it. That's what I get for thieving their menu! You will just have to enjoy a few pictures:)

We finished our meals with a grapefruit sorbet, and pear tartlet. I used to work in JP Licks and a woman came in one day and told me the sorbet was "superb". I thought, I don't know if I would ever have a reason to use that word? but eating Harvest's grapefruit sorbet that night, sure made me think superb. It was perfection.

If you have a restaurant you have been wanting to try, like the ones I mention above, but think it is out of your budget, go on line or call and ask them if they have a special menu certain nights.

Another way to enjoy a restaurant you think may be out of your price range is to try it during restaurant week. There is a Summer and a Winter restaurant week in Boston each year. This winter there are two weeks. From March 14th thru the 19th & 21st thru the 26th. Restaurants who participate in these weeks will put together discounted menus which usually include 3 to 4 courses. Type in Boston Restaurant Week 2010 into your search engine to learn more.

Bouchee Brasserie
159 Newbury Street
Boston, Ma

Menu: French inspired fare
Kid Friendly: Sure
Atmosphere: Casual or dressed depending on time of day


My last tip on enjoying a fancier restaurant at a more reasonable price is go during lunch! A lot of places will serve the same menu or portions of their menu for discounted prices at lunch. Bouchee on Newbury St. is one such place. Lou and I were out with our good friend, Kat a few weeks ago and we were all yearning for a really good meal, so we popped into this self described urban brasserie and were pleasantly surprised to find a more affordable lunch menu. I had an outstanding French Onion soup and a side of Pomme Frites. Yes, I know, they are French fries, but they just sound more delicious. I think I fool myself into thinking they taste more delicious too and are better for me! Kat had the Sauteed Cod which came with creamed corn and duxelle stuffed crepes. I didn't taste it, but judging by the way Kat scarfed it down, I would say it was really good. The prices at Bouchee average about $10 cheaper at lunch. If you want outstanding and entertaining service ask for James to be your server. I don't know how to describe his style of service, but I assure you it adds to the atmosphere.

That's all I have as tips for now, but here's hoping at least one of them allows you to enjoy a place you've been wanting to go to.

No comments: