Friday, November 26, 2010

Shopping Detour at Spruce Pond Creamery

Spruce Pond Creamery and Franklin Flatbread Pizza
www.franklinpizza.com
370 King Street
Franklin, Ma
508-520-7900

Menu: Pizza, Pasta, Sandwiches, Salads, Ice cream
Atmosphere: Casual pizzeria and Ice creamery
Kid Friendly: If Ice cream is ever not Kid Friendly, then it is being served in a bar.

I wanted lunch, and why my husband wanted to check out a place called Spruce Pond Creamery made no sense to me. I was hungry though, and hunger for me means severe loss of brain power so I went along with his idea.

We were on our way to the Wrentham Outlets when we took this detour. This was not a case of twisting my arm. I am not a shopper. In fact, I pretty much loathe shopping except for maybe 4 times a year, and there is nothing that makes me loathe it more than crowds. When I saw the line of cars meandering off the the exit to for the outlets, there was no chance I was staying in it.

Lou knows me so well he actually said it before I did. As soon as he pulled into the back of the line he asked, "You want to get some lunch instead of shopping?"

It took me a second to process it, then I saw the same line on the other side of the highway getting off the opposite exit going to the same outlets. My worst nightmare! All I could think was, "Get me the heck out of this line before we are on the off ramp with no option to get out!"

Lou quickly pulled back onto 495 and we were out of there. We took out Lou's iPhone and used the app, Around Me, to see if we could find a restaurant nearby. Lou picked the Spruce Pond Creamery. I don't know what made him think they would have food, but it was only about a 1/2 mile off the next exit on 495, so we checked it out.

This is the first thing I noticed. This place looked like a very colorful ice cream stand to me, and it was getting a little chilly out. Lou looked at the main sign, however, and it said they had flat bread pizza, so we went in to check it out.
It turns out the Ice Creamery has an inside seating area, and a wood burning stove where they make some delicious pizza. They also have sandwiches, salads, and pasta dishes, various bakery treats and of course homemade ice cream.

Lou was excited when we sat down because he spied this cream soda in the display case.
For lunch we got the flat bread because it was the highest thing billed on the menu, and it looked really good on our neighbors table. We chose to split our pizza in half. One side was the Lightning Rod-hand-made herb & garlic sausage, organic tomato sauce, blend of organic cheeses, sautéed organic green peppers, sliced organic mushrooms & balsamic-splashed sautéed organic yellow onions.
The second side was Ben's trip to France- Organic eggplant & organic Roma tomatoes over organic garlic-infused extra-virgin olive oil base, with grated Reggiano Parmigiano cheese and balsamic-splashed organic yellow onions
I don't really get the name choices, but I guess I should thank Ben for going to France and coming up with this original pizza choice. It was a delicious blend of ingredients.

The staff at Spruce Pond was friendly. The ordering was a little unorganized. There was a line at the counter when we walked in, and several parties sitting down, but it wasn't clear if you should stand in line, order and then sit, or sit and wait for a server. We went to get in line and we must have had, "We are ordering lunch and sitting down written all over us, " because as soon as we stepped in the back of the line, we were told to sit and wait for a waitress.

A sign saying, "Seat yourself for eat in", would have been a huge help.
We didn't get ice cream, but the line for it was steady the entire time we were there, and it wasn't a very hot day, so it must be pretty good.

Outside the Creamery has a beautiful landscape rolling down to what can only be the Spruce Pond. I can imagine a lot of families hear hanging out on the hottest of summer days. It is a little far for us, but if I ever make the foolish decision to head to Wrentham on a popular shopping day, I will know I can always detour it to Spruce Pond Creamery.

No comments: