Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving in Boston Pictures and Recipes

I think I may have cooked the best turkey I have ever cooked in my life this Thanksgiving. It was completely by accident and I don't know if I will ever replicate it, but it was like butter. My husband who hates turkey found himself going back for seconds.

How did I do it? Somewhere between putting the turkey in the oven at 325 degrees at 9 am, and 11:30 am, the oven got turned off. I have no idea how or how long it was off, but when I noticed, it was only at 199 degrees! oops! I put the oven back on at 350 degrees. The turkey was at a safe edible temp by 2:30, we let it rest out of the oven for a half hour, and damn that was a good turkey! Even the leftovers are moist.
Lou's family came to dinner this year. There were 9 of us all together. Lou's mom brought a honey baked ham and green beans. Aunt Shirley brought her famous pound cake and mac and cheese, and Lou's dad brought a pumpkin cheese cake and a bag full of bread for leftover sandwiches!
Lucky for me I have a neighbor who was away for the day and let me use their stove, and a husband who remembered to take all these pictures when I first put the food out. Otherwise I never would have gotten everything out hot, or had pics for the blog:)
Two recipes I have never seen anyone make the or at least make in the same way are my grandmom's stuffing and my grandmom's turnips. Here are the recipes.

Stuffing
1 loaf of bread
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
Poultry season to taste, which usually amount to half a spice bottle of it.
Mix with hands, and then stuff the bird with it.

It is so good, it doesn't have meat or pineapple or anything fancy, and sure it has a lot of butter, but for once a year, it is a treat!
Turnips
One large yellow turnip peeled and cubed
One half onion cut in thin rings
7 slices of bacon

Boiling the turnips until tender, set aside. Cook the bacon until it is crispy. Remove from pan and crumble. Reserve about 4 Tbsp. of the bacon fat in the pan. Cook the onions in the bacon fat until they start to turn transparent. Add the cooked turnips and the bacon, saute until blended and hot. Serve. I make them a day ahead of time often and they taste even better the next day, just microwave to heat up. Turnips are in the for front of the pic below.
Enjoy my pics and I hope everyone who was celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend had a great time with family and friends. Now get out there and work those calories off!




No comments: