Sunday, November 1, 2009

Dalia's Bistro & Wine Bar


Dalia's Bistro & Wine Bar
1657 Beacon Street
Brookline, MA. 02445
617-730-8040


Menu: Meditteraneun inspired, something for everyone

Kid Friendly: Get a baby sitter

Atmosphere: Shabby Chic, Romantic, Intimate

Price: Reasonably priced for a special night out. One app. and two entrees $48 this visit.


Lou and I went to a Dalia's last night in Washington Square, Brookline. The first time we tried Dalia's was New Year's Eve several years ago. We are notorious for not making plans, and like a couple of geniuses we decided we would go to Golden Temple and get Chinese. Chinese on New Year's? What were we thinking? The 4 hour wait had us knocking on Dalia's door a few shops down. Luckily Dalia's could squeeze us in, and we sat in a corner booth. If you have read my Henrietta's Table review, you know Lou and I often get put in corner booth's. This visit was probably the first time we were sat in one. I don't remember what we ate that night, but I do remember we loved it. The odd thing is we have only been back to Dalia's once before we returned last night. Our second meal was great too, so you would think, we would return more often. I guess some of it is the thought of so many restaurants, so little time, but I think the main reason is there is something special about Dalia's that I like, and I don't want to wear that feeling out. The decor of Dalia's is shabby chic done well. The walls are grey with different shaped mirrors on them and a beautiful garden of silver flowers painted on one wall. The booth seats are covered in a grey valor with white piping on the edges. Grey valor pillows accent one side of each booth. These small details add to the intimacy and romance of Dalia's.

Although Dalia's is a Wine Bar, Lou and I don't usually drink wine with dinner, so we stuck with our usual water, and went straight to eating. For an appetizer, we ordered the Meditteranean Eggplant cakes with a walnut and herbed yogurt sauce. At first a salad with goat cheese was delivered to the table in error. When we called the server over it was apparent she had accidentally written the wrong thing down for our appetizer. This caused about a 10 minute delay in getting it, but it was not big deal. The eggplant cakes, once they arrived, were very good, the walnut herbed dipping sauce was the perfect compliment. There were two 3 inch dia. cakes. They were light, crispy and flavorful.


For dinner I ordered the crusted pan seared veal which was supposed to be served over risotto, but in the middle of our appetizer, the server informed me they were out of risotto. The substitution was mashed red bliss potatoes. I love mashed potatoes, so I was the perfect person for this to happen to. Anyone else may have not been as happy. Lou order the mushroom ravioli. If you read my review of Narcisse, Montreal, you may remember he ordered the same thing there. Since I just started writing this blog, I thought, NO YOU CAN'T ORDER THE SAME THING! Thank goodness sensibility spoke up before that came out of my mouth. Instead I decided, what a good way to compare dishes:) When the veal arrived there were two generous portions sitting atop red bliss mashed potatoes with a light white wine sauce drizzled across the top. The sauce was delicious, the potatoes were yummy. Although the flavor of the veal was good, the meat was tough to cut and chew. This was disappointing because I have gone to Dalia's so many times and loved it, but this time I was writing about it! I was hoping Lou's meal was better. The mushroom ravioli dish was comprised of 7 or 8 round raviolis in a white wine sauce as well. I had to have a bite so I could compare it with the ravioli Lou got at Narcisse. I have to say Dalia's mushroom ravioli, held its own. The difference between the two was the sauce. The sauce at Narcisse was more of a Marsala sauce. The sauce at Dalia's was a white wine sauce. I could taste the wine more strongly in Dalia's sauce. It was different, but did not disappoint in the least.


We opted against dessert last night, mainly because we are trying to eat healthy lately, but dessert was never offered to us. The bill came immediately after the meal. Dinner for two, appetizer and meals, but no drinks or dessert came to $48. I think that is very reasonable for good food and great atmosphere.


I promised myself when I began writing this blog a couple things. I would write about every place we ate at for a year, and I would to try approach every review objectively and honestly.
With that said, this review of Dalia's might not be seen as entirely positive. The wrong appetizer came, the veal was tough, we weren't offered dessert. I love Dalia's, however, and we have had 2 great meals there in the past. The atmosphere is incredible. The staff is friendly, and I can't find a dessert menu on there site, so who knows if they even offer it. I honestly can't remember from past visits...so maybe being objective will be harder than I thought.






No comments: