Sunday, November 1, 2009

How do you know your boyfriend loves you? He brings you to his favorite pizza place


Pino's Pizza at Cleveland Circle

1920-A Beacon Street

Brighton, Ma

617-566-6468


When Lou and I were first dating, I was living in Brighton. Whenever you first date anyone and really like them, you want to know if the feeling is mutual. Both parties tend to hold their feelings close to their heart. They don't want to be the one to get hurt, but Lou gave away how he felt big time by bringing me to his favorite pizzeria. No guy brings you to a place he frequents as much as Lou frequents Pino's when the food is THAT good, unless he doesn't mind seeing you there in the future.

I honestly can't objectively give a review of Pino's food as a whole, I haven't had anything there but their sicilian pizza, but the sicilian pizza is SO good, it is worthy of it's own post.

Pino's is situated in a row of stores and restaurants on Beacon street off Cleveland Circle, right near Boston College. There are about 11 big booth's and 1 long table to sit at. Nothing fancy, but who needs fancy when your having pizza? The walls are adorned with beautiful pictures of Italy, and the Italian soccer team. There is one cooler with drinks to choose from and a short counter.

For as long as Lou can remember going to Pino's the same guys have been working there. Specifically there is an old man working there who he affectionately calls, "The Old Man". Lou told me a long time ago that when the "Old Man" is working, the Sicilian pizza always tastes just a little bit better. Over the past five years of eating at Pino's I have to admit he is right, but the pizza is so good regardless. I would go there anyway.

When we go to Pino's our order is always the same 4 to 5 slices of Sicilian, and a Peligrino Arranciata to wash it down. The Arranciata is an orange flavored soda. I have had the Sicilian with various toppings, broccoli, sausage, pepperoni, and bbq chicken, but I have to say my favorite is always the plain. I don't know the secret to Pino's Sicilian pies, but I can tell you, the cheese is melted perfectly, the blend is yummy, the top is soft, and the crust is 1/4 inch of crunchie goodness. The service at Pino's is always quick and friendly.

Pino's is not the most romantic place around. There are usually college students and tweens flowing in and out when we visit there, but the symbolism of the gesture of bringing me there when Lou and I were first dating, was one of the most romantic things I remember back then. Pino's is tradition worthy.

No comments: