Friday, November 6, 2009

Paella for Easter



My Paella story






I was looking through some pictures I took of food before I started writing this blog and came across this delicious Paella my mother in law asked me to make last Easter. Linda, had gotten the recipe from a woman she knows on the Vineyard. It is pretty ambitious and I found the directions a little crazy, but if you know how to cook you can get through it. This took me about two hours to make start to finish. The final product was well worth the wait.




Chicken:

1.5 lb. chicken tenders, or 10 wings split after browning, or 10 thighs, or 5 chicken legs, or one whole frying chicken cut into 10 pieces. ( to make it simple for my self, I used skinless breasts)

- 8 oz. Chorizo, remove casing and cut on the bias about 1/4 inch slices
-1 lb. shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 dozen mussells or small hardshell clams
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large Spanish onion chopped fine
-Garlic, at least 4 cloves chopped fine
-Can of diced tomatoes drained
-Olive oil
-3 Cups rice
-5 cups chicken broth, simmering,
-white wine
-1 cup peas fresh or frozen
-1 bunch parsley(garnish)
-5 lemons(garnish)
-1/2 bunch scallions(garnish)
-thyme
-saffron ( if can't find saffron, use goya paella rice, or another boxed paella rice and use the seasoning packet as if it is the saffron)
-Salt and pepper
-You will need a very large skillet or pan to cook the paella in the oven once all the ingredients are combined. I have about a 24 inch iron skillet for the final product

Heat small skillet and add 2 tbsp olive oil. Brown Chicken pieces, season with salt and pepper, do not over cook, set aside.

Add Olive Oil to the pan to make soffrito: Add onions, peppers, garlic, and drained tomatoes. cook until onions are softened. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.

Add Chorizo to the same pan, cook until edges are brown. Remove from pan and place with the onion, pepper, tomato mixture.

Delglaze the pan with a small amount of white wine.

Heat oven to 375

In a large flat pan add 2-3 TBSP of Olive Oil, Add Rice and stir to coat with Oil. Add lots of chopped garlic, add Tomato-onion-chorizo-pepper mixture. Add the simmering chicken broth, and the saffron ( I didn't have time to hunt down saffron, so I bought paella rice by Goya and the season packet acted as my saffron. I prepared everything the same way as stated) Bring to boil on stove top. Add Chicken pieces on top. Place in oven covered for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes remove from oven. Check to make sure the rice is just done. Add Clams or mussels, and add shrimp. Set them into the rice. For clams place them hinge down. If mixture is dry, add a little more liquid. Be careful because clams and shrimp will give off some moisture. Add Peas. Cook an additional 8-10 minutes or until clams or mussels open. Allow to site for 5-10 minutes, garnish with parsley, scallions, and lemon wedges.


Bon Appetit!




No comments: