Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Oatmeal!!!!!!!

When I was young I can remember eating Gerber oatmeal for breakfast in the winter. My mom would put a big pat of butter in the oatmeal and hide it, and we would have to find it. I don't know what it was about the pat of butter in the oatmeal, but I loved to eat the oatmeal right around the sides of the butter as it melted into it. I would also sprinkle it with sugar.

As I got older, I didn't eat oatmeal as much. I thought, Gerber is for kids, I will look silly eating that. I also knew to be healthy, I should pass on the butter and sugar I added as a kid. I tried the infamous Quaker oats, but eating oatmeal was always a different experience than what I expected. I would look at it and think oooh that looks so creamy, but then I would taste it and it seemed more pastie and lumpy. I would still eat Oatmeal once in a while because of the health benefits. They say it may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease, it can lower your risk of type 2 diabetes, it's 100% natural, and can help you maintain your weight. My relationship with oatmeal, however, was a bit non-committal until I found McCann's Irish Oatmeal! I stumbled upon the brand in J.Pace and Sons in the Seaport area of Boston, When I saw the picture on the box, I immediately had those thoughts of "it looks so creamy!" Although I had been fooled many times before, I thought ,"what the heck," and bought a box. Now I have to say, I am hooked! I love this stuff! It IS creamy, and simple to make, and tastes good even without the butter and sugar.

No comments: