Saturday, November 7, 2009

Vegetarian Collard Greens






A few months ago, Lou and I went to see Food Inc. to see where our food really comes from. I hear about it more and more in the news these days, factory farming, animals being fed hormones, mass producing food... I think everyone should make their own informed choices about what they eat. This movie definitely made me shop for us a little differently. One of the things we decided to do was check out
Boston Organics.
Boston organics is a company that delivers fresh organic produce right to your door. You can choose to have produce delivered weekly or every other week. There are different size boxes depending on your needs. We get the $39 box, but there is also a $29, and $57. You can also choose from different mixes, all fruit, all vegetables, 1/2 and 1/2. 2/3 and 1/3, and lastly you can add other items to your order each week, like coffee, tea, bread, dairy, cheese.

I first heard about Boston Organics from my friend Tammy on her blog http://www.bostonfoodandwhine.com/. I had wanted to try it out for a while and I think Food Inc. finally gave me the push.

When I started receiving my produce, I decided I wouldn't add anything to the do not send list without trying it at least once. This, I thought would force me to try new recipes, and vegetables in those recipes I haven't used before. So far, it has worked out pretty well.

One of the first items I got when I started with Boston Organics was collard greens. I had eaten collard greens many times in my life and really like them, but I had never made them myself. I know that one of the things you need to make collard greens is a big ham bone. I was too lazy to search a ham bone out, so went on a search to find a recipe for vegetarian collard greens. I found the recipe on the website Recipe Zaar. http://www.recipezaar.com/, and I think they were just as good as any collard greens I have had.


2lbs collard greens
4-5 garlic cloves minced
1 large onion
3 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Wash greens well submierging in a sink full of cold water to remove any dirt and grit. Drain well. Cut off the stems right where the leaf starts. STack about 5-8 leaves on top of eachother, then roll lengthwise. Cut rolled up leaves into 1" slices widthwise. Repeat until all the greens are done and add to a large pot.

Add all other ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes or until greens are extremely tender. Serve hot. using a slotted spoon to drain the liquid from the greens.

The finished product!

No comments: