Saturday, November 7, 2009

Run for the Border, On the Border that is


Border Cafe
Menu: Tex-Mex
Kid Friendly: What kid doesn't like chips, salsa and tacos?
Atmosphere: Southwestern decor, families, dating couples, singles
Prices: Average family eatery comparable to Friday's, Uno's, Applebee's


I went to lunch with my good friend Karen the other day at one of our favorite places, On the Border in Woburn, Ma. Not to be confused with the Border Cafe! Karen will be happy if she reads this to see I listed her as a good friend. She was my boss at one time and would get so mad when I introduced her as such. She would say, " WE AREN'T WORKING! I am your FRIEND when we AREN'T working!" Well I don't slip up anymore and call her my boss these days. One reason is I don't work for her anymore, but the main reason is she has been a very dear friend to me over the past 9 years.

There are several reason's the Border Cafe is one of our favorite restaurants to grab lunch. It is conveniently located off of 95 approximately halfway between Karen's house and mine. Since we both work from home. It is the perfect place to meet to get out of the house for a bit. We also just love the food at the Border Cafe. One of our favorite things to get is the Chicken Tortilla soup. It is a tomato based with a lot of mexican flavoring, chili, cilantro, salsa, avocado. On the Border's version is topped with tortilla strips, fresh avocado, and a bit of cheese. For Lunch you can get a small bowl with either a salad, a taco, an enchilada, empanadas, or tamales for $6.99. There is the , choose two items for $6.99 or the choose 3 items for $8.99 deals. All meals come with the usual chips and salsa while you wait for your meal. Karen decided she was back on Atkins this week which left me eating the whole bowl of chips! Yes I have no self control. The chips at On the Border though, are some of the best you can get. They are light and crispy. You can tell they are fresh, and they always come to the table warm. Their salsa is also good, not too chunky, not too hot.

The service at On the Border is another reason we return. The hostess is always quick to seat us. The lunch crowd is really busy, but the staff never seems overwhelmed. Our order is always taken promptly, our food arriving with the same promptness, and the servers are always very friendly.

On the Border has been a favorite of ours for the past 9 years we have worked for Nortel, and I am sure will continue to be a favorite for years to come. Someday I will have to check it out for dinner.


No comments: