Saturday, November 14, 2009

Don't wait until fall to enjoy Harvest


Harvest Restaurant

44 Brattle Street, on the walkway between Brattle and Mt.Auburn streets
Cambridge, Ma
617-868-2255

Menu: Traditional New England dishes with a modern flair
Kid Friendly: Get a baby sitter
Atmosphere: Warm, subtle sophistication, lively yet intimate
Prices: On the expensive side but worth it

Lou sent me a list of restaurants he had heard good things about yesterday and asked me to choose which one I was most interested in. I chose Harvest in Cambridge Ma. The website and menu made me think of Henrietta's table. The menu is a celebration of New England flavors and Harvest's current chef, Mary Dumont, makes use of the local farms for ingredients. Both restaurants are equally good, but they definitely each have their own personality.

I knew immediately Harvest was going to be a great restaurant because of two things. It was hard to find, and it was very busy. This is not a place you would necessarily stumble upon, and they can win a prize for the hardest to find valet.

The atmosphere at Harvest is what struck me immediately. It was the perfect restaurant for this time of year. There was a simple sophistication in the decor. There were signs of the harvest time of year throughout the restaurant but they were not overbearing. A painting on the wall of a field of corn, some wheat strategically placed in the ladies room. It was all done very well.

We sat in the main dining room, overlooking an outdoor patio. The patio was not open for dining, but we noticed a roaring fireplace outside, as well as, a few chairs, and assumed they may let people go out to enjoy the fire.

The wine list at Harvest is extensive. Lou and I opted for our usual water. The main menu had a broad selection from raw seafood, to steak, pasta and fish entrees. Our order exemplified the variety. For appetizers we chose the spiced sweet potato gnocchi, and the special appetizer, seared scallops a top a squid ink risotto. These turned out to be a great choice. The gnocchi had a subtle sweetness to it. It was covered with sprouts and pomegranate seeds, and was accompanied with roasted brussel sprouts. The scallops were tender and seared perfectly. The risotto was savory, and the squid ink gave it a pitch black coloring but was not an overpowering flavor in the dish. After the appetizer course, I got my nerve up to take a few pictures of the next dishes that came out.

For dinner Lou got the braised short ribs with root vegetable puree. The root vegetable puree was very similar to mashed potatoes, in fact Lou thought he had eaten potatoes. I went for the painted hills sirloin with yukon potatoes, mushrooms and creamed spinach. Both the ribs and the sirloin were melt in your mouth good. The creamed spinach matched with the potatoes and sirloin gave the whole dish a creamy texture to it. I ended up leaving half my dinner, so I could eat it again the next day for lunch, and have enough room left so I could enjoy dessert!


For dessert, I got the New England Carrot Steam Pudding. It was similar carrot cake but denser. It was served on a sweet bourbon sauce, with sweetened cream cheese and carrot shavings on top. The base of my pudding was a little tough to cut through. I think it was the top of the pudding when they cooked it and it had been turned upside down to serve it. Lou got the Chevre Cheescake. It was the perfect portion of cheesecake served on top of a short bread cookie, with a white trufflle balsamic vinegar. Both Desserts were a good portion, not too large.


As a whole, Harvest is one of the better restaurants I have been to. They paid attention to every detail. The vestibule is very warm as you come in from the cold. The host immediately welcomes you. A coat room is offered to the right of the door. The seating is close but comfortable. The decor is simple and sophisticated. The kitchen is open which is always a good sign because they aren't hiding anything. I observed a hostess checking the bathroom for cleanliness. The bussers win the award for fastest table turn in the east. I saw a busser turn the table next to us in about 30 seconds. He was so efficient, and precise, he made me want to do my own job better.


If you are looking for a special place for a date, a nice family dinner, or celebration of an important occasion, Harvest fits the bill.


No comments: