Monday, November 16, 2009

J.P. don't call me "House of" Seafood Cafe





JP Seafood
730 Centre Street
Jamaica Plain, Ma 02130
617-983-5177



Menu: Japanese/Korean mix of items, sushi, tempura, noodles, grill
Kid Friendly: Sure if your kids eat this stuff
Atmosphere: Laid back, fast service, clean
Prices: Very reasonable for the amount of food and quality

Lou and I hit up JP Seafood this past weekend. If you read my review on Pino's Pizza, you know Lou brought me there early on in our dating life and it was tell tale sign of how he felt for me. I guess the same can't be said for me sharing one of my favorite restaurants, JP Seafood. I made Lou try JP Seafood over the summer. We love sushi but we don't seem to get it that much. JP Seafood is, by far, my favorite sushi place. Not only is their food awesome, but the price is right too. The menus is not only sushi, but noodles, rice, tempura, and grilled items. They also have plenty of dishes for vegetarians.


This visit we opted for a variety of items on the menu. Two Maki rolls(the dragon and New England), the scallion pancakes, and vegetable tempura. Our entire meal was $35 with tip, and there was plenty to take some home.


We started with the scallion pancakes, or should I say pancake. It was basically one very large scallion pancake, about 8 inch diameter cut into smaller pieces. This was the best scallion pancake I have ever had. It was light, fluffy, and flavorful. I had to keep myself from eating too much to save room for our other items. I wish I had taken a picture.


Our second course was our Maki. The dragon roll was shrimp tempura covered with eel and avocado. It is one of my favorites. I love the eel, but I think I also like that it looks like a big caterpillar. Our other roll was the New England Maki. This was lightly battered and fried white fish. Both rolls were very good.


Our last course was the Vegetable Tempura. It was a lot and we took most of it home, but I think there are two things that make Vegetable tempura good. A light batter, and a good variety of vegetables. This dish had both. The Veggies were asparagus, broccoli, onions, sweet potatoes, and peppers.


The first thing you want to remember about JP Seafood is, don't let the awning fool you. It is big, it is blue, and it looks a little cheesy. I always thought it was just me, but a good friend of ours, Jesson, from Salmagundi (http://www.salmagundi.com/) said the same thing. He slept on JP Seafood for a long time because of that terrible awning. Once you get inside though, the service is friendly and efficient, the interior is minimilist and perfectly asian inspired, and the food is outstanding.


As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I held out for a long time on bringing Lou to this gem in J.P. I have to honestly tell you he raised his eyebrows accusingly several times throughout our first meal here. His accusing look was saying one thing, "Why would you keep this place from me???" After this trip, we decided, JP Seafood is so good, you want to keep it to yourself. You may not even want to tell your spouse! I guess with this post though, the secret is out!

No comments: