Saturday, November 7, 2009

When Life Gives You Old Banana's Make Banana Bread!

Old Fashioned Banana Bread




I used to have this roommate years ago, Jess. She would save old bananas all the time with the ambition of making banana bread. I had no idea back then, that old bananas were the best for making banana bread, so I should thank Jess for making me aware of this. I have to say though, I never, in the several years I lived with Jess, witnessed her baking ANYTHING, especially not banana bread. If she only knew how often I make it these days.

Banana Bread is one of Lou's favorite things I make. I often catch him leaving a few bananas to overipe in the hopes I will make him a loaf. When I make banana bread, I often think of my grandmother. I don't remember many people in my life making banana bread, but I remember she did. She stayed with us once while my parents were away, and showed me all the ways she used food so there wouldn't be any waste. She had grown up in the depression when I am sure it was unheard of to waste anything. One of the things she showed me was to put fresh cucumbers into the left over pickle juice. It made extra pickles for less than half the cost. She also showed me how to let bread get stale, then food process it for bread crumbs. I am sure making banana bread was her way of not letting bananas go to waste. The other reason I think of my grandmother is I use her old mixing bowl, and her old glass bread pans when I make it. When my grandmother died, my mother took some of her kitchen items in case we needed them someday. My grandmother was a great cook, and call me crazy, but I feel like my banana bread comes out just a little bit better because I am using her pans.

The recipe I use for Banana bread is right out of the Better Homes and Garden's cook book. I make it so much, I should have memorized the recipe, but instead, the page is worn with flour stuck to it.

Preheat the Oven to 350
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon( I usually add a little more, I like cinnamon!)
1 egg
1 cups mashed bananas, (3 medium, or 2 large)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cooking oil
the recipe also calls for finely shredded lemon and chopped nuts, but I don't add those in.

Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a loaf pan, set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp salt. Make a well in the center and set aside.






In another bowl combine the egg bananas, sugar, and cooking oil. Add the egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir until just moistend, batter should be lumpy.






Spoon batter into baking pan and cook 50-55 minutes at 350, or until wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Banana Bread, one of life's simple pleasures:)

No comments: